Friday, April 24, 2009

Our first garden


Last weekend Franklin and I planted our first little garden. When I was younger I used to HATE gardening. Every Saturday morning, before we could go play, we were out weeding the garden. I hated the feel of dirt on my fingers and the bugs and just the labor part of it all. Oh how silly...I still don't like the feel of dirt in my fingernails, but I do love fresh fruits and vegetables. I totally took it for granted that I was raised on organic, fresh produce during the summer months and then was fed with it from jars my mom had canned. There's something about it, so that is why I decided we would give it a go.
We didn't do anything fancy, just some watermelons, some pumpkins, some zucchini and some carrots. There's a little patch of dirt behind our house where I weeded and then dug a few holes. Franklin put the seeds in each hole and then watered them afterwards. I'm not sure if the soil is even suitable to grow anything other than weeds, but the fact that it does grow weeds is a sign it can sustain something. So we'll keep watering from time to time, throw some plant food on it and keep our fingers crossed hoping something will grow.

1 comment:

Bars said...

Can't believe you actually did this!!!