About three months ago I entered a contest with some girls in my neighborhood. It's a weight loss contest modeled after the reality tv show "The Biggest Loser." I entered it because I needed to lose some of my baby fat and because I knew a little competition would give me the boost I needed.
I've never really been much of a dieter. I usually ate what I want and then tried to burn it off exercising. Now that I am pass the age of 30, I've witnessed for myself the whole "metabolism slows down at age 30" notion. Mine has slown down...waaaayy down.
So I've been dieting. Yes, dieting. And dieting some more. When I was growing up my mom had a trivet that read "Diet is a four letter word." I didn't really get that except I did get that four letter words were usually swear words. But why would diet be a swear word? (Coming from a girl who played soccer, softball, and church volleyball year round.)
Now I know why it's a four letter word. It's hard to cut calories. Really hard. All the experts recommend cutting 300-500 calories a day in order to lose weight. Well I've done just that and I've been a miserable cuss. Oh how I want to eat those extra chips or extra cookies or extra anything. I'm sick of spinach salads for lunch and whole wheat toast with a tablespoon of peanut butter and a half a banana for breakfast.
Our contest ends tomorrow...I've lost 15 lbs so although I've missed out on some great eats, my butt looks smaller and that is almost just as sweet as a brownie Sundae (to which I'll be treating myself to right after my final weigh in).
Did I mention there's a cash prize? I'm hoping to win...my hair budget's been cut dramatically. My roots need some serious attention. :)
2 comments:
Congratulations on losing 15 lbs! That's hard to do. I completely understanding feeling deprived of "good" food. Treat yourself here and there, planning ahead, and you won't feel so deprived. In the mean time, enjoy that sundae!
Totally routing for you!!!!!
Post a Comment