Sunday, December 21, 2008

Brown Gingerbread boys vs White Gingerbread boys


The other day I thought it would be a fun idea to have Franklin help me do some baking. I came across a blog for some "amazing" gingerbread cookies. I've never made Gingerbread cookies, so I thought I would give them a try. Franklin has been asking to make gingerbread boys for days so I had Franklin help me dump all the ingredients into the bowl. We made the dough and then refrigerated it in order to have hard enough dough to roll and cut into shapes. While Franklin was napping, that is just what I did.
I must say, the gingerbread cookies were not all that amazing. My first batch was ok, but the next two batches were too hard. I guess I cooked them too long. This was my first time cooking with Molasses. I had imagined that Molasses would be sweet like corn syrup, but it was nasty. It smelled like rancid soy sauce and looked like it too. Who knew you could add something that nasty to a cookie or cake and still have it taste delicous.

The next day my good friend Shantell came over and brought her son Michael, one of Franklin's best friends. I enlisted them to help me bake sugar cookies. Hence the white gingerbread boys. They sure did make a great big mess, but it was so fun. They helped dump the ingredients into the mixer and then roll the dough and cut the shapes. It wasn't easy getting two two and a half year olds to listen to me tell them which side to use to cut the cookies.
When all was rolled, cut and cooked, we had over 9 dozen cookies. I need to remember to halve my recipe next time. Luckily Shantell was around. She did all the frosting.

1 comment:

Kaspar said...

It was so nice to be at your home again! The cookies were delicious! Me and Michael ate all the one's we brought home ;o). Did you want Ashley Anderson's phone number for your hair? Just let me know and I'll email it to you. I don't have your new email address saved, so your gonna have to email me ;o). xo!