Saturday, January 10, 2009

Wait for it...


The other night I was doing my usual bedtime routine with Franklin, change his pajamas, give him drink of milk, brush his teeth, read books, sing song, say prayers, turn off lamp, give kisses and cuddle for five minutes. During our cuddle time I started to tell him a story. Franklin still asks if he can make gingerbread boys about three times a day. So I made up a story about how his friend, pterodactyl the dinosour, came over to his house to make gingerbread boys together. They poured the flour into the bowl and mixed in the sugar and the eggs and then baked the cookie and then they ate the cookies and flew away. Or something along those lines.

After the story I kissed him goodnight then went along doing my own thing. About an hour later I was sitting on the computer, which is just a few feet from his room, when I heard him yelling, "No dinosaurs at my house. I don't want to make cookies with dinosaurs."

I went into his room to find Franklin just sitting in his bed. I thought maybe he was sleep talking, because he has done that before. But he was wide awake. I asked him to tell me what was wrong and he said, "I don't want to make gingerbread boys with dinosaurs." It was so cute that for a whole hour he had been thinking about whether or not he really wanted to make cookies with a dinosaur. I can just imagine the thoughts now..."A dinosaur is too big,or A dinosaur can't break eggs the right way or I want to do it by myself (everything is by himself lately)..."

Future note, no stories about baking dinosaurs.

4 comments:

Kaspar said...

lol! That is so cute! Come and play with us! xo

Cami said...

Don't you just wish you could get inside your child's head for a day. Their thinking is so realistic and practical. Cute story!

Joni said...

Kids are so funny, you just never know how they are going to process things!
I wish I'd have known that you would like to see Kadee dance, we were in Clearfield on Saturday. Her next one is in Morgan in the 24th for regionals and then UVU for State comp on the 31st. She starts her studio competitions this Spring and dances in SLC quite a bit for that as well.

Anonymous said...

FYI Liz, we had great success getting him to eat dinner the other night pretending we were aligators and "hungry, hungry, hippos". I'm glad we didn't pretend to be dinosaurs!!!