Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The feminine touch

I wasn't much of a girly girl growing up and I'm still not one today. I never really got into braiding my dolly's hair or putting make up on. I just didn't know how, so I gave up on those things. I can't blame my mom because I was the one who told her to stop trying to do my hair.

I think I had one too many bad "feathering" hairstyles. After looking at pictures of my childhood, I think I just didn't have strong enough hairspray, or maybe I just didn't apply enough. That all changed once the 90s rolled around.
I was an awkward teenager with ugly hair. It was easy to do hair in the early 90s. All one had to do was buy a skinny curling iron, curl half the bangs down and the other half up, then feather a little bit, and finally spray the crap out of them with hairspray.
If you were feeling really cute, you'd curl all your bangs up and do the shark fin look. Basically, you'd curl the bangs up and then, once again, spray the crap out of them.
My sophomore year I kind of dated a guy. He was a senior and I was a sophomore. I really liked him but was scared to death of him, which was the case all through out high school and into my freshman year of college. I would like a boy and once they started liking me, I'd freak out thinking things were moving too fast and I'd break it off with them.
So as with this young man, named Greg, he was cute, had the chin-length snowboarder/skater hair and he really, genuinely like me. We were in drama together and I thought he was cute (did I say that already?). Anyhow, we hung out a few times. He kissed me after a church fireside and that's when I freaked out. I was an awful kisser. He went in for the kill, er...uh...the kiss and we bumped noses and it was just no good at all. So we tried again and it was NICE!
I couldn't believe a senior really liked me. Did he like me or did he just want to make out all the time? That's what I started thinking after the kiss and a few days later I told him it wasn't going to work. For weeks after that I would still go out of my way to walk by his locker to make sure girls weren't talking to him and I pined for his affection. Oh silly ol' low-self esteem me.
I coped with the break up by cutting my hair. I chopped it off. It went from past my shoulders to way up near my ears. I even did the shaving it in the back thing. It was a hideous haircut. I did NOT rock it like Dorothy Hamil. People were nice and said it looked cute, but I know it didn't.A few months after it grew out I tried perming it. That was even worse. I did the home perm with tiny rollers. I really wanted a wavy look, but instead got a poodle fro.
So having a daughter just brings back all the silly memories of hair disasters. I am 33 years old and am almost confident that the do I sport is flattering for my face and skin tone. Almost though...
So what to do with a daughter who has tons of hair? I kind of braided it not too long ago. I can do piggy tails and it's almost long enough for one ponytail in the back. The other day I attempted rollers.
I sat her in her booster seat with a whole lot of food in front of her to distract her while I rolled her hair.I put rollers in all sorts of directions because I had no idea what I was doing and because she was so fidgety that I just put one in and hoped it was somewhat straight.
I was one curler short of getting all her hair into curlers. I was surprised at how well she did with them in her hair. She didn't try to pull them out and she let them sit for hours.
When I finally did pull them out, I had to laugh. They were pretty tight, cute curls, but they were also crooked and made her look like orphan Annie, but that's ok because I once sported an orphan Annie afro and am none the worse for it. However, my orphan Annie afro was a home perm and has been recorded by a professional photographer during a family photo shoot.
I, of course, took pictures of my handy work. I'm proud of my first attempt to do my daughter's hair. She's so stinkin' cute that she could pull off any hairdo and I'm sure she'll have many as she grows and grows and grows. With a face like that, she'll be able to do anything with her hair and still look beautiful.

1 comment:

Gordita said...

Ahh. 90s hair. It WAS easy: get a home perm from a lady in the ward that does home perms, tease and curl your bangs until most of them curl straight up, then apply hairspray. Generously.

Beatrice's hair is adorable, but I love her even more with the rollers IN. Such a doll.