How come every time I tell someone that Franklin nicknamed the baby Sheriff, they tell me it's a really cool name, or a great name, or I should totally name him that? Am I the only one who thinks our baby will have difficulties with that name? Sure Beatrice and Franklin aren't the most common names, but at least they are real names for people. My husband even swears that he thinks it would be a great name. Saying, "It'll be a really neat story to tell. When people ask how he got his name we can tell them his three-year-old brother named him."
That to me is dumb because Franklin also suggested cookie, but we're obviously not considering that name. How many parents just let their three-year-old kids name their babies? If that were to happen, I'm sure the world would have a lot more spidermans, Thomas the trains, and poo-poo heads (another one of Franklin's suggestions when he was being sassy).
I mean if we name the kid Sheriff, will he feel like he has to go into law enforcement? Will kids tease him just to see if he'll lay down the law? Will misbehaving girls ask for a strip search, or to be handcuffed? The thought makes me shudder.
So again, I ask, why do people keep thinking it's a great name????
6 comments:
It's a cute nickname and will still be a fun story to tell, but I agree with you, give the kid a "real" name!!! When McKadee about 3 we found out that her cousin was going to be a boy, she was upset because she wanted a girl so she told us to name him Dirt! As he has gotten older, we have enjoyed telling him the story and teasing both he and Kadee about it, I think you can totally do the same :)
I have a suggestion: how 'bout Tridger?
Okay seriously though, I'm with Mama. It's a nickname, and a cute one at that, but nothing more. Three year olds don't possess the cognitive ability to think through the consequences of naming a child something odd and all the implications that are attached to names. Even some adults don't have that cognitive ability. So I say, stick with your traditional, though uncommon, names. Beatrice and Franklin are great, solid names.
sheriff : of arabic origin means illustrious. they practical and are good in business and are successful.
I vote for sheriff!
I am not by any means saying that you should name the kid Sheriff, but it's hardly the weirdest name I've heard. I'd choose it over Bishop, Bridger, Dallin, Ezra, Ammon, Apple, Dweezil, Moon, or anything starting with Le or La. That's right, mother's who name their kids LeGrand and LaVell, I'm talking to you.
hahahhaaa...and oh Shanon...you made me laugh...because I think that I know a few of everyone of those names...well except dweesil and moon...but the rest are good ole Utah names...not that I wold name my kids any of those....
but I like Sheriff....for a nickname...but I also wanted to name JD.... Clay.....because it is such a cowboy name....you see I didn't get my way...
Post a Comment