Tuesday, January 5, 2010

My son's first stitches


What a crazy Holiday break we had. I promise to post pictures soon. First Franklin had a fever for a couple of days and was sick. Just as all was getting better, he slipped while climbing out of the bathtub and smacked his chin on the toilet. Both Frank and I were arms length away but could not stop it from happening. I picked him up and noticed right away his chin has split right open. It was bleeding pretty well, but it wasn't very deep. Although it was superficial, I knew it was going to need to be sewn up.
Franklin was in pain, but the thought of going to the Dr. to get sewn up seemed to be more painful than the actual wound.
I bundled the little guy up and drove to the closest urgent care clinic. It was about 10 minutes to 9pm. After waiting 20 minutes I was told that the "provider wasn't comfortable doing sutures." You're joking right? He didn't even come out of the back to take a look at Franklin's chin to see how difficult it was going to be. Heck, if I had had the right sanitizing and numbing equipment, I would've done it myself.
Well since it was way past nine o'clock by this time, the other urgent care clinics were closed. The other option was the emergency room at the hospital. I didn't want to have to sit in the ER with real trauma patients. Our next option was to wait two hours until the next "provider" would be available. I have no idea why they kept saying "provider." I guess not all of those who treat patients are Drs.
So that's what we did, we went to my mom's house and waited two hours to see the next provider. Franklin had a great time playing with his Uncle Josh and hanging out. Although his chin still hurt, the bleeding had stopped. All Franklin cared about was that he wasn't at the the Dr. office.
We finally went back at 11pm and still didn't get sewn up until 11:45. The "provider" was treating someone else. By that time I was pretty tired and pretty upset that we had been turned away two hours earlier and then still had to wait even after we had made an appointment to be the first ones treated at 11pm.
Franklin was such a trooper. My heart almost broke in half when they gave him a few shots in his wound to numb it. He was screaming and crying like I have never heard before. I guess this is his first major injury. So I'm extremely grateful for that and that it was worse.
The one funny part of the night was when the provider was stitching up Franklin. After Franklin realized now that he was numb he couldn't feel any pain, he started to relax. By the time the provider was two stitches into the procedure, Franklin had fallen asleep. He was snoring and content as could be. I wish I didn't have to wake him up to get him in the car.
We finally got home around 12:30 am. It was such an ordeal. One I hope never happens again. Word of advice to my kids. If you get injured, please do it during regular business hours. Thank you.
Franklin has healed fine and loves to tell me how strong and brave he his. It's true. He really is strong and brave to have endured the wonderful health care system of the good Ol' U.S.A.
Oh and the next day Beatrice came down with her fever and sickness. Neither of them were 100% for Christmas day, but that didn't stop us from having such a wonderful day spent just with our precious little family.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Oh no!!! What a crazy story- and provider? Strange?! I can't believe he just fell asleep durign the stitches! Awesome! How are you feeling?