Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Our newest addition


We got ourselves a little cat. I don't know what got into my husband. About a month ago we were up in Kamas, by Park City, with some of our friends. We pulled up to a grocery store to get some items so we could have a picnic. Out side the store were two little boys yelling, "Who wants free kittens?" I warned Frank that he better not let Franklin see the kitties or he is going to want one.

Well, my husband didn't heed my advice. He took Franklin over to the boys and let him look at the litter of kittens. I went into the store in hopes of avoiding any sort of tantrum that may erupt while trying to drag Franklin away. When I came out, they were still petting the kittens and the boys were still trying to give them away, but this time the dad stepped in to do some selling. He told us the kittens were potty trained and that he'd throw in a can of cat food with each kitten we took.

Our friends have owned cats in the past, and I've had at least one while growing up. But we've never had a cat or a pet, for that matter, since we've known each other. Frank kept asking me if I wanted one. I told him the decision was ALL his. I really didn't think he'd take one home. He's been told his whole life he's allergic to them. But sure enough he did. We let Franklin pick out the one he wanted. He picked out the little white one and for the next four hours we debated over the name. Franklin kept coming up with silly names like "sidewalk chalk, house builder, steering wheel." It was pretty funny what he kept thinking of.

Finally we settled on Milkshake. Her name is Milkshake and she's about 3 months old. She scratches the furniture and eats a lot and makes our guests' eyes water, but I think we are going to keep her. Franklin has thrown her down the stairs and has drenched her in water, but absolutely loves her. Beatrice has pulled her ears multiple times, but Milkshake doesn't seem to mind. She loves us as much as we love her. I hope she'll be a part of our family for a long time.

2 comments:

Chelsea said...

What an adorable picture and what a crazy story! It's sounds like milkshake is quite at home with you guys! I must admit - I read the name of the cat, and thought to myself, "I like Milkshakes WITHOUT hair..." :)

THE NORRIS FAMILY said...

CUTE cat! I've been hearing requests for a kitty daily for the past three years from my little one... maybe it would take some kids out on the sidewalk giving away free kitties who are trained, and even come with their own box of food! grin... love the name, by the way!