Sunday, June 14, 2009

I've still got it...sort of




Four and a half years ago I ran a half marathon in Moab in 1 hour 59 minutes and 38 seconds. Yesterday I ran a half marathon up at Bear Lake in 2 hours 10 minutes and 11 seconds. I came in 127 out of 359. I say not bad considering all the elements working against me...1) I've had two kids since my last race. 2)My longest training run was 9 1/2 miles. 3) The elevation was higher. 4)I didn't sleep more than four hours. (I slept in my mom's camper. Good times but not recommended before a long run). 5)I didn't eat a big enough breakfast. Race time was supposed to be 7am. So I ate a banana at 6am thinking that would give me enough energy to make it until I could get to a race station and grab some gu. Well the race started at 7:50 and by that time the energy I got from my banana was completely gone with no race station in sight. 6)It rained! From miles 7-11 I was running in a nice little rain shower. As nice as it was to have the cool weather, it was not nice having the rain in my face and the little head wind that came with it.
In spite of those things working against me, it was a beautiful course. I hadn't been to bear lake in 15 years or so. I forgot how gorgeous that lake is. Thanks to my mom and my brother for taking care of my kids while I ran. I couldn't have done it without them.

9 comments:

Valori said...

Congratulations on the Marathon!!!! What an accomplishment!!! I thought about you yesterday, and hoped you were able to make it to Bear Lake, after all your hold backs!!! What a great feeling when you have finished!!!

R + M said...

Congrats! I am not much of a runner and proud of those who can do it. So kudos to you!! And an excuse to go to Bear Lake is never a bad thing.

Kaspar said...

YOU DID IT!!! YAY! Congralutations on your great run! Hope you are doing awesome! I know I need to call you and take you up on the dinasour thing, but life gets crazy!

Gordita said...

Congratulations! You are amazing. Way to run a half marathon. Sorry to hear about the rain in your face.

Also congrats on winning something on SSB. So cool.

Kwint and Gina Kemp Family said...

Way to go!! You are awesome!

Bars said...

You are insane, I LOVE you, but you are insane. xoxoxo

Cami said...

That is AWESOME!!! I bet it felt so good to accomplish that! Bear Lake is a beauty.

Joni said...

Yay! You look great and I'm totally proud of you :)

AJsGirls said...

WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!