Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Lemonade Stand


Last week I thought I'd introduce the kids to sales. Every kid should try their hand at being entrepreneurs. I was a bit more excited about it than the kids were because I have so many good memories of selling stuff as a kid with my siblings. We did lemonade stands, Kool-aid stands. We sold popsicles and candy and just stuff. We sold stuff we didn't want or stuff we thought we could get a good penny for. We sold eggs from our chickens and maybe even produce from the garden. I don't really remember selling stuff from our garden as a kid, but I have helped my nieces and nephews sell produce from my mom's garden.
Last summer Franklin gathered some tomatoes out of Mugga's garden and put them in Mugga's trusty ol' Red Rider wagon. Then, with the cousins, he went around the neighborhood peddling his goods. I think they earned about $2.75 that day. It seemed as if Franklin really enjoyed himself.
I figured, a whole year later, he'd enjoy himself just as much.
We borrowed our neighbors super cute table and umbrella, made a sign, then got to making the lemonade. We made pink and yellow Country Time Lemonade. I was so excited about the whole thing that I went a little overboard and turned it into a bake sale as well. I baked a pan of brownies and made some rice krispie treats too. YUM!!
I sent a message out to the neighbors via Facebook. That makes selling a whole lot easier than going door to door and since our lemonade stand wasn't in a Red Rider wagon, it was a whole lot easier getting customers via the internet. So different than when I was a kid.
Our little neighbor and friend, Jaidyn came over to help us. I have to say, that kid has a future in sales. He didn't have any fears about asking people to come buy some lemonade and some treats. He approached the mail man, the UPS man, some neighbors who were packing up their car for the weekend and anyone else who just randomly happened by. It was so fun to see him in action. Franklin wasn't quite as aggressive. I don't know if he was being smart by letting Jaidyn do all the selling or if he was being shy, or maybe even lazy.
Although my kids weren't the greatest sales folk, they sure were great little helpers. They poured drinks for our customers and served them treats. Beatrice made a great little product model. She looked super cute as she pointed customers in the right direction and pointed out the different types of lemonade. I'd say she has a future on the Price as Right, but she's waaaay too smart for that line of work. Here she is enjoying a bag of Cheetos when she should've been selling.
We made a whopping $14.50 that day. I'm sure that's far more than I ever made selling rocks and miscellaneous junk.
We had such a great time out in the sun playing as a family. I don't know if the kids really learned anything about sales and hard work, but they had fun and that's what summertime is all about.

1 comment:

Gordita said...

What a great summer you guys are having! I love it.