Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Sum, Sum, Summa Time!

I cannot express how much I love summer. I was born in the summer and I live for it every year. I love wearing nothing but shorts and a t-shirt. I love having tanned skin. I know it's so bad for me, but it looks so good and the sun just feels too good for me to not sit in it.
Summer was a long time coming this year. It rained almost every day in May and half of June. I really did not think we'd ever get a day over 75 degrees. But, alas, it has warmed up and we've taken full advantage of the sunny weather.
Most days we wake up, lazily eat some breakfast, then converse about what we're going to do that day. Most days we decide to have a sprinkler party. All that entails is pulling out the hose, attaching the sprinkler, turning the water on, and inviting as many of the neighbors as possible.
Some days we only have our little neighbor, Jason, over. He's not quite as old as Franklin, but they're best neighbors. Usually JD shows up too if his room is clean and his chores done. I need to talk to his mom about how to get my son to do chores. Actually, Franklin is really good at picking up his room. He doesn't shove nearly as many things under the bed as he used to.
One day we probably had 25 kids over for our sprinkler party. It was the best! I had plenty of hot dogs, chips, and watermelon on hand. So it was a great big sprinkler party and a great big feast...ok, not that big, but all the kids were happy. I made the moms, and the one stay-at-home dad some turkey sandwiches.
Here's a picture of about half the kids who came one day.
Here's Solomon getting into the sprinkler party action in his jeans. Cute lil' Gap Model.
Here's our neighbor D. He's 20 months old and is squeezed into one of Solomon's small swim diapers. He's such an adorable butterball. He loved Beatrice's doll stroller. He learned that if he ran through the sprinkler with the stroller, that all the other kids wanting it left him alone. They weren't about to go into the water to fight for it.
Here's our scrumptious O. He's a few weeks older than Beatrice. He was one of the kids who wasn't about to go after D to get the stroller although he wanted it awfully bad. He just wasn't feeling like partying in the sprinkler, but he was all over the watermelon. I think he ate a quarter of it himself. Good thing it was a seedless melon.
This sprinkler party was particularly fun because I got to sit and chat with some of my neighbors. I absolutely love my neighbors. I live in a great community with some amazing women. Talking and spending time with them was almost as therapeutic as sitting in the sun. I think we were all hanging out for at least three hours just watching the kids play and loving life.

1 comment:

Megan said...

We sure love your sprinkler parties too! Your the best neighbor ever!