This is Franklin's third season playing soccer. He's now one of the "older" kids on the team and it shows. The first season his team was pretty even when it came to ball skills. Basically, none of the kids had any, but they were really good at chasing bugs and wrestling.
His second season all the kids were, once again, pretty evenly skilled. Some could dribble the ball, but would quickly lose it when another teammate or an opposing teammate would snatch it away. It was fun except for one teammate, the coach's kid. He was a bit older and waaaay more advanced. Every time he got the ball, he'd score. If he didn't have the ball, he'd get it and score. Yes, that's fun for him and for his parents and all those in the family, but for the others, it's no fun at all.
We lived through six games with the "coach's kid." Franklin only scored one goal because after five games of being bored out of my mind watching one kid dominate, I asked the coach if she could tell her kid to pass the ball every once in a while. Well it worked and Franklin got his one goal under his belt.
This season is so different. I'm not sure if it's because Franklin went to soccer camp this past summer or if it's because he's now one of the older kids on the team. I'm afraid though that our son has turned into the "coach's kid."
I've talked to him about passing and letting others have a turn, but somehow he keeps getting that ball and scoring. My husband kept telling me to lay off the kid and let him score as many as he wants, but I don't think that's fair to the other kids and those who came to watch them play. Plus, my husband and I have very different feelings about sports. I love a close game where the competition is even with a lot of back and forth. My husband likes to see big, blow outs. He loves it when a team wins by five touchdowns or 30 baskets or whatever the sport it. I don't think it's a sport when the score is so lopsided.
Anyhow, Oh how I love to see Franklin score a goal. He gets so excited and skips back to center field while pumping both arms up and down high above his head. Whenever he's asked how many goals he scored, he says, "Firty one!" Last year in preschool they learned to count to 31 and that has been his favorite number ever since.
I got a quick video of him scoring one of his "firty one" goals and would've like to have gotten more but my silly memory card was full.
No comments:
Post a Comment