Thursday, December 3, 2009

More Holiday Joy

Franklin: "Mommy, what do you want for Christmas?"
Me: "I want a handsome little boy named Franklin."
Franklin: "Mom, you already have one. What do you really want for Christmas?"
Me: "A good little boy who gives his mom lots and lots and kisses."
Franklin: "Arrrgghh, but I already do MOOOM. What do you you really want for Christmas?
Me: "I don't know Franklin. What do I really want for Christmas?"
Franklin: "Do you want a new mixer?"
Me: "Sure, that would be awesome!"
Franklin: "Ok then it will cost eight and 90 dollars."
Me: "Oh thank you Franklin. That is so thoughtful of you. Love you so much."
Franklin: "Love you to mom. Can I watch the Branch now?"

When he says "Branch" he means the "Grinch." He loves that cartoon and so do I. It's a staple at Christmas time. And I wish the new mixer I want was only 8 and 90 dollars. I'd totally buy it at that price. It's funny that he came up with 8 and 90 dollars because everything used to cost 100 bucks and dollars. Not just bucks, but bucks AND dollars.

So I was right about the Christmas count-down chains being stapled. Franklin made one in preschool, which is "cooler and longer" than the one we made together. His teacher stapled the links together because who is dumb enough to glue that many links together?

We made yummy gingerbread cookies today. I love Christmas. Many times I wish I could go back to the olden days where they had one-horse open sleighs that dashed through the snow. I wish it was more about Christ and his birth than about Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales. Every year my mom used to host an openhouse and invite friends, family, and neighbors to come enjoy the holiday spirit in our home. I have so many fond memories of the good food and music and company. Again, I just love this time of year and am so happy I've got such a beautiful family to share it with.

I keep trying to get Franklin to say, "God bless us everyone," but he just doesn't oblige like he used to. Last year I could get him to say it on command, but a year later he will only say it if he's bribed. He'll never get the part of Tiny Tim...

2 comments:

Gordita said...

I LOVE that he's concerned about what you want for Christmas, and even thought of something appropriate. What a thoughtful kid!

Bars said...

He might be tiny Tim; I know some people. Now if only the Cratchit family wasn't so pasty white!